Thursday, June 4, 2009

Favorite pastime

For as long as I can remember, I have loved reading. Even when I was younger, I'd live at the library, especially during the summers. Even in high school when it really wasn't considered 'cool' to have your nose in a book, I was still reading!


I've only taken a small break from my trips to the library when I was getting my undergrad degree and then my master's. I mean, who wants to voluntarily read after being forced to read boring text books for hours at a time? (Yes, mom I think I did read one or two text books at college!) :)


But since my school days are long behind me, (or so I hope!) I've taken up my favorite pastime again. The odd thing is, that even though I have loved reading for so many years, I've never gone to hear an author do a reading. It was definitely time I had that experience!


So last Tuesday, Alyce and I headed down to the local library to hear one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Berg. And I have to say- it was beyond my expectations! Like she mentioned that night, when you're reading, you picture the look and sound of the characters in your own mind. You don't necessarily want someone else to choose that for you. Which is maybe why I never really got into books on tape.


Anyway, I digress. Ms. Berg was charming, funny, laid-back, so friendly and delightful! After reading 4 excerpts from her new book, she did a Q&A session and had us all laughing until the PA announcement that the library was closing. It was definitely a moment worth remembering.


So if you haven't read any of her books and find yourself with some downtime, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. She'll make you feel like you've just returned home.

www.elizabeth-berg.net

No comments: