Monday, June 23, 2008

Flood Relief update

Hey all- Just wanted to share the news. I was a little hesitant about my brother and his family pinning all their hopes on FEMA but turns out, they came to the rescue.

His house was evaluated over the weekend and it was determined: they won't 'condemn' it but FEMA will pay to hire a contractor to replace all the flooring and dry wall. They lost all their appliances and air conditioner so FEMA will replace all except the dishwasher, as this is considered a 'luxury' item. Each child is eligible to receive a $500 payout for clothes, toys, etc. And even though he didn't work for 2 weeks, his company did send him a check for a 20 hour work-week. So it does help- it doesn't look like construction on his home will begin any time soon so in the mean time, they'll be staying with my Grandma. Good bonding experience for her and the kiddies. :)

I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the donations, prayers, and being there to listen to me vent. I appreciate it all so very much- and will keep you all posted as events unfold. My mom told me that 37 homes in Waverly collapsed due to the flooding so I guess it could be worse. At least they are all safe and have a place to call home for now.

No comments: