Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sweet Tooth


So...if ya'll know me, which I know you do, you know I have an enormous sweet tooth. It's no secret that I plan to spend my retirement fund one bag of Gummi bears at a time. And unfortunately, that wouldn't buy me too many bags of Gummi bears. But that's another post for another time.


So...back to my sweet tooth. I've got one. And sometimes, it just can't be ignored. So, in perfect fashion to rejoice my sweet tooth, I decide to do a 'candy bar' at peanut's first birthday party. And when putting together a candy bar, the best place to go is a candy store. :) And I just so happened to find the cutest, friendliest candy store in Des Moines! The place is Beaverdale Confections and my oh my! Did peanut and I have a fun time shopping for candy!


As we're placing our order, the cute lil girl behind the counter notices me side-eye the homemade, yes HOMEMADE, marshmallows.


"Would like a sample?" She asks.


Um hello- don't I look like I just escaped a Weight Watchers meeting? YES, I would like a sample.
"Sure," I say, trying to act nonchalant like I really have to think about a free sample.


And then come the angel sounds from above as she says, "I can even roast it for you."


A free roasted marshmallow? Who are we kidding, I'm sold! I'll buy the whole store!


So as I'm enjoying my free sample of amazing oozing goodness, the guy rings up my total and even gives me a SWEET discount! It doesn't get much better than this folks. Oh wait, IT DOES.


One of the locals orders an 'everything bar' and convinces me (oh yes just had to twist my arm) to try one. I add one to my order on my way out and *hangs head in shame* eat it in the car on the way home.
What's an 'everything bar' you ask? Besides being made by magical fairies and tasting like a lil piece of heaven- it's a bar with caramel, chocolate covered peanuts, chocolate covered pretzels, toffee and marshmallow all held together by...you guessed it, more chocolate.


*sigh* So if you're in the mood for a trip to the candy store, check out Beaverdale Confections! And leave with a sugar high like I did. :)




1 comment:

Iowa Sunshine said...

mmmm! i will make my way to that shop! i can't believe they make marshmellows?! i love the idea of an old-fashioned sweet shop. yum!