Thursday, January 22, 2009

In my own words

Dear Mr. President:

Congratulations on a campaign well run and welcome to the White House. I admit, I had my doubts (and maybe still do), but I want you to prove me wrong. I want you to show me what 'change' means exactly. I want you to show us all how we can recover from such madness in our society today.

I had my first full-time job at age 10. I gave up cheer leading in high school to work 40 hours at McDonald's while still making the honor roll. I worked through college and since graduating in 1998, have worked 2 and 3 jobs for more years than I have only worked one. I slaved away in graduate school while holding down a full time and part time job. Do you see the theme here? Do you get MY 'message?'

I refuse to sit on the couch and collect unemployment. I want to work at a job that utilizes my skills and resources. I want to be a contributing member of society. But that can't happen if I can't find a job, if I can't land an interview...

I know this is a lot of pressure. I know we are looking at you to make great things happen. And in some regards, you have made us all promises that I'm hoping by the grace of God, you can accomplish. I stand up and support you- not as a left wing or right wing, conservative or liberal, Democrat or Republican- but as an American that wants to get us all back to basics, as an American that wants my dream back, as an American that refuses to keep 'doing what we've always done.' May God grant you the abilities to help us one and all.

Oh and the last time I wrote to the President I was six years old and I got a signed 8X10 glossy back in the mail (Reagan and I shared a birthday). I'd be happy to settle for a letter of recommendation. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to land an interview nowadays.

Best Regards,
Mrs. W

No comments: