Sunday, January 18, 2009

What's on your list?

HBO is having a free viewing weekend this weekend and you know what that means- it's movie time! (Free AND frugal, my new motto!)

So Andy and I hunkered down last night and caught The Bucket List. Now- I have to be honest. I never really wanted to see this movie. I knew the general theme and to be honest, my state of mind hasn't been the cheeriest lately. But alas, there were no "Earnest Goes to Camp" movies on HBO last night so we settled for The Bucket List.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is a very sad movie but at the same time- got me thinking a little bit. Now am I in NO way equating the loss of a job to a terminal illness but there were 2 questions in the movie that I think everyone should ask themselves. I know I did.

1) Do you have JOY in your life?

2) Do you bring JOY to others?

I do feel like I have joy in my life- and I need to keep reminding myself just how much joy I actually have. My husband, who makes me laugh til I cry, amazing family who always lends a supportive ear, true good-for-your-soul friends who know when to be right by your side...

I think the 2nd question is a little harder- and since the answer doesn't jump out at me, I think it's time I remember that too, how important it is to bring joy to others. It's not just all about me- it's about being there for all the people in my life, uplifting them the way they uplift me.

I think it's time I get to work on my own bucket list and wallowing in self-pity is not listed. What's on your list?!

2 comments:

Chef Stinson Family said...

Um, you definitely bring joy and love and compassion and encouragement to people on a daily basis. I couldn't get through life without you my friend!!!

Nurse Nettie said...

OMG!! Just saw this posting (and your inaugural one too-- loved it!)... and YOU, my friend, bring great joy to me... and from what I see, everyone you touch. You are the best!! Love you girl!!
xoxo