Friday, December 21, 2012

The Blizzard of 2012

They were talking about the storm of the year on its way.... I dreamt of a fun-filled snow day, sipping coffee, Rea snuggled in watching cartoons, baking Christmas cookies.

And then I heard the *click* And all was silent with the world.

The power was out.

In my anticipation of the lone snow day, I had forgotten about the possibility of no power. I heard the pitter patter of toddler foot steps into our bedroom at 5:00 a.m. "The snow is mad," Rea said referring to the ice/snow mix hitting our house.

So we huddled together until I couldn't wait any longer and headed downstairs to check out the damage. I saw 10 in. of snow on our deck. Larger drifts over our front yard, the road nowhere in sight.

Despite not having power for almost 24 hours, we made the best of it. 

Early afternoon and still no power, Andy and I made the executive decision to follow fellow neighbors/friends to a nearby hotel for the night.  We told Rea it was an adventure (over and over), complete with swimming and pizza and her favorite, getting to eat chips in bed! I must have been trying to over-sell it because Rea exclaimed, "Mommy you don't need to keep telling me we are on an adventure. You told me 87 times already!"  Oops. I think I was trying to reassure myself that the pipes wouldn't freeze and the house wouldn't flood. (Thank the Lord it didn't!)

So many thanks to all those who will never know how much it means to us to have power restored and roads plowed.  I did hope for a white Christmas but am rethinking my stance on 10 inches of snow.

Some pics from our 'adventure'~

Eating breakfast by candle light:



Rea asking if she could go play outside:




Front view:



Back view:




Watching a movie on my laptop until it died a slow death:


Starting a new tradition! I was impressed with the cookie/frosting quality and yes, we ate this as our lunch. Don't judge, I was minutes away from hysterics, said the girl with no coffee.







If you all know my creative abilities, or lack there-of, you know this concoction deserves to win a prize at the Iowa State Fair. The candy stayed on the roof! I was crafty for all of 30 minutes.






At the pool! She loved it:





Hope everyone stays warm and safe out there! I don't think we'll ever forget the blizzard of 2012.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Yikes!!

I am glad the power is back on and you survived. We lost power just for a few hours and I was a nervous wreck that it wouldn't be back on for days....what about coffee?? The internet??? I would have been in a hotel in no time flat so I think that is a smart decision. :o) Rea is so cute!

Mrs. W said...

Thanks Rose!!