Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Better than any drug...

Okay- I'll bet you thought this post was going to be about chocolate, huh? Not quite...but don't get me wrong. I love me some chocolate!

No I'm going to dedicate this post to practicing RAOK.

Random Acts of Kindness... yesterday I discovered a blog about a woman who practiced 38 RAOK's on her 38th birthday.

Check it out:
http://mixmingleglow.com/blog/

How cool is that? And it really got me thinking...at first I thought- well of course I practice this! But then I asked myself, really? Do I really do all these kind acts for strangers? I have road rage lately because anyone that gets in the way of me picking up peanut from daycare is in a danger zone. I have cart-rage because anyone that doodles in front of me at the grocery is impeding my ability to get home to peanut... see a pattern? I did. So it's time for a change.

Now- I'm not saying you need to spend a lot of money doing this. I'm thinking of the little things, and here's my list so far:

1. Every time I see a soldier in uniform, thank them for their service. (I have always wanted to do this and never have before. Now is the time.)

2. If I'm in a drive-thru, pay for the person's order behind me.

3. Add a little more to the church collection plate.

4. Compliment a stranger on their outfit/hair/etc.

5. Leave a thank you note for the mail man along with a candy bar. (Chocolate makes the world go round.)

6. Let that annoying car get in front of me on the freeway, and be okay about it.

7. Leave a really nice tip the next time we go out to eat.

8. Bring cookies over to our neighbor who always plows a nice path in front of the mailboxes.

9. Go through my closet and donate to a women's shelter.

10. The next time I receive really great service~ tell a manager, send an email, spread the word.

And most importantly...I want to recognize during each day that I'm out and about where I can make a difference to help someone else. Spreading kindness...better than any drug.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Thanks for the reminder, Ro. What a great idea!!